Thursday, April 30, 2009

SassyShades - Etsy Artist Feature







I have met so many wonderful and helpful people on Etsy, that I have decided to Pay It Forward, by featuring an Etsy Artists of the Week! Its great to know the person behind the product! Meet Kristi -the first Etsy Artist to be featured on my blog! Please visit her unique shop at http://www.sassyshades.etsy.com/

1.Who are you and where are you from?
I'm Kristi Uvence and I live in Edmonds, Washington (a beautiful small town on Puget Sound 15 minutes north of Seattle).

2.What is your craft and how long have you been doing it?
I make custom decorative handmade lampshades. I learned my craft in March '08, started publicly showing them in our local street market in summer '08 and presented them on Etsy as of 4/6/09. I'm definitely a newbie on the scene!

3.Where do you get your inspiration?
I love to make things and have always been inspired by anything handmade and unique. One day while looking around my house I thought about how fun it would be to make lampshades in different ways not found at your local store. I found a wonderful woman in Vermont who offered a Saturday class. So, I took the plunge and flew across the US where Judy Lake from Lake's Lampshades became my inspiration and mentor. Being around encouraging people on a daily basis is also a huge motivator and inspiration. It's working because here I am!

4.What are your favorite materials to use?
My favorite materials are the use of vintage items and fun trims. As time goes on, I find that I simply love all sorts of fabrics! I recently took a turn and made a lampshade out of vintage sheet music. That was fun and I think it is very unique!

5.If you could do any other profession, what would it be and why?
If I could do any other profession, it would be in the landscape business. I love to garden and became a Master Gardener 2 years ago. Again, it's that creating something beautiful for the enjoyment of others as well as for myself. I must admit, however, I love playing in the dirt!

6.What other activities do you like to do?My favorite activities are anything outside! I'm an outdoor enthusiast! I also am and have been a huge sports fan and cheerleader for my kids sporting events (only one left at home). The list could go on and on by I will end by saying I also enjoy serving others. I've done a couple of mission trips out of the country and it has been the most rewarding and uplifting experience.

7.What is your favorite flavor ice cream?
Ice cream....yummy! My favorite would have to be Rocky Road and the more nuts and marshmallows the better!
8.What advice do you have for people thinking of selling their handmade items?
My advice to others who are thinking of selling their handmade items would be, "Do what you love and LOVE what you do!".

2 comments:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Oh, lovely writeup. Sassy makes such beautiful lamp shades. Oh, and Rocky road is ok as long as it has the real marshmallows and not peanuts. But, my favorite ice cream is Pecan Praline.

Chrisy said...

I've been a fan of Kristi's shades for awhile...particularly the bright ones...

Blog Archive